Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great way to learn how to protect yourself and get in shape. When stepping into this martial art like all the rest, there is a uniform to think about. This consists of both a Gi and a belt. Though some may concentrate on the Gi, the belt is just as important.
That is probably why there are so many belts to choose from. You want to find one that works with your Gi and offers you comfort and durability as you spar. Doing this can be challenging, though if you are into BJJ, you are not afraid of a challenge, so why struggle with this one?
That is where we come in. We dove into what makes a great belt and used these factors to help craft a list of the five best BJJ belts out there. These factors included:
Color – You need to make sure that the belt comes in the color you need for your level. You also might want to look for one that has a solid color that doesn’t fade.
Thickness – The trick is not to choose one that is to thick for you. If it is, it can be very hard to tie or may come undone while in the middle of a match.
Quality – Of course, the fabric’s quality plays a role in whether a BJJ belt is good or not. You want to look for ones that use high-quality fabrics so they have a longer life.
Size – Size is important for the same reason thickness is – comfort. You want to make sure you don’t get one that is too short or too long, which could lead to some issues while practicing.
Now that you have an idea of how we chose the belts below, we can dive into the in-depth reviews of each of them.
Best BJJ Belt Reviews
Sanabul Pro Belt
Our first entry is a belt that has been worn by many pros and is crafted to be durable and comfortable to wear. It is certified by the IBJJF, making it easily one of the best BJJ belt options out there.
- Comes in multiple colors and sizes
- Sewn-in sleeve bar for stripes
- IBJJF competition approved
This belt may be the most well-known amongst our options and for a good reason. Many champions have worn the best, but that isn’t the only reason this belt has such a good reputation.
It is crafted with a soft and thick material that helps it stay durable and comfortable no matter what move you are doing. Once broken in, the belt doesn’t untie or slide at all, plus the fabric doesn’t keep odor or bacteria, so you can feel better about wearing it.
Though it is one of the most popular, the belt still has a few flaws. It may take a bit to break in, and some feel the thickness is a little underwhelming.
- Material used in the design is thick and soft
- The belt stays tied for long periods of time once broken in
- Fabric is lightweight and moves with the students
- Belts are antimicrobial and antifungal
- The colors stay really well even after a wash
- The belt will have issues staying tied until broken in
- Thickness may not be enough for some
Elite Sports Gi Belt
Our next belt comes from Elite Sports and is 100% cotton and very comfortable. This belt comes with all the stamps of approvals you need and in a variety of options.
- Available in nine colors & several sizes (men/women/kids)
- IBJJF approved
- Fitted with an express degree and strip bar
- 100% pre-shrunk cotton
- Finished with reinforced stitching
Okay, so there is a lot that we love about this BJJ belt. It is manufactured in high-quality pre-shrunk cotton. This gives it all the softness and durability while not having to worry about it shrinking after a wash.
Cotton also means it is antimicrobial and antifungal, which is great when dealing with a sport where you have tons of human contact and sweat a bunch. Even with all that, the price tag is still not too bad, making it a great investment.
Now there are a few things that we found fault with. The belt does have a tendency to run a bit short, so you may want to go up a size. Along with that, it takes quite a bit of time to loosen up.
- Crafted with lightweight pre-shrunk cotton
- Materials make it antifungal and microbial
- Price versus value outshines a lot of other belts
- Fabric used in construction is durable
- Comes in multiple sizes for both women and men
- Some issues with the belts sizing (short)
- The belt takes some time to loosen up
Fuji Premium Cotton Gi Belt
If you’re not concerned with a certified belt from the IBJJF, then this is a great option. It is crafted to be durable and comfortable. When it comes down to it, that is really all you need in a BJJ belt.
- Crafted in a cotton blend
- Available in standard colors
- Sewn-in strip bar
Variety and quality are two words that we think describe this super budget-friendly option. It is crafted in not only tons of colors but also in several sizes. The cotton blend used in its design is also pretty darn great.
The fabric lends itself to being extremely durable and comfortable to tie around your waist. For all these reasons, we really think this may be one of the best options for those new to the sport.
Before you make your final decision, though, there are a few issues that you should be aware of. We have found that many people experienced sizing issues within the length and overall size. On top of that, like with many Gi belts, this model will take a little work to remove the stiffness.
- Belt once tied, stays in that knot
- The model comes in tons of great colors
- Comfortable to wear thanks to the cotton blend
- Fabric creates a very sturdy belt
- Super affordable and great for beginners
- The belt has some sizing issues (long/small)
- May take a little work to loosen up
Vali Isso Gi Belt
This is a simple design but effective. Manufactured using all-natural cotton and reinforced with nine lines of stitching, this Gi belt is well crafted and super affordable.
- Comes in 5 colors
- Fitted with a stripes patch
- Certified by the IBJJF
- Deigned in 100% cotton
- 9 stitching lines
This Vali Isso BJJ belt will feel like you have a designer belt on but comes with a price tag that doesn’t match that feel. It is a budget-friendly option that is constructed in amazing fabrics. The care and love put into the design are evident from the moment it comes out of the bag.
Not only does it feel nice and has a nice weight, but it is durable and will be able to stand up to whatever your throw at it. In fact, as extra measures to ensure this, the designers have added a nine-line stitch for a little extra sturdiness.
With that being said, some have found the thickness to be a little on the light side. You also may want to take extra care washing as many have reported shrinkage.
- Belts are constructed with amazing material that extends the life
- Designed to keep from holding odors
- Created to be a budget-friendly option
- Certified for use in official competitions
- Uses extra stitches to make the belt more durable
- Issues with the thickness of the belt
- Some have had the belt shrink after washing
G4 BJJ Belt
Our last entry is a BJJ belt for G4. The belt is simply designed and offers everything you need for a BJJ Gi belt – durability and comfort.
- Comes in 4 sizes (A1- A4)
- Width – 4cm
- Thickness – .5cm
- 100% cotton
There is no need to shell out tons of your hard-earned money to get yourself a BJJ belt. There are plenty of options out there for those that are a little more money-conscious, like this belt from G4. This belt has a lot going for it.
The belt runs true to size, which is not always the case with other more pricey options. It is also crafted with comfortable cotton and designed with the perfect thickness. All of that and the colors tend not to fade very quickly, keeping that belt’s new and crisp look for many washes to come.
Unfortunately, the color is something that we need to discuss when we talk about issues with the belt. This model comes in limited sizes and colors, and that may be a problem for some. It is also very stiff straight from the package, so you will have to really work it to get it to the right level of flexibility.
- BJJ belt is designed to be true to size
- The use of 100% cotton gives this belt ease of wear
- Belt’s thickness is perfect and enhances its durability
- One of the lowest costing options in the market
- Colors are bright and are very steadfast
- Belt comes in very limited sizes and colors
- Will have to work it quite a bit to remove stiffness
There you have the five best BJJ belts available right now. Using our list of features, we looked to give a wide variety of options; that way, everyone would have something. We hope we have done that and that your decision-making process is over and you can get to sparring.